Monday, April 21, 2008

RANDOM READ

Spent a little time at Borders @ The Curve last week. Browsed around, not looking for anything in particular, randomly reading a little here and there. Among the many books I picked at, was a book on autism.


The author says that, when he was in medical school, the disorder affected 1 in 10,000 births in USA. Today, the odds are 1 in 150 births. Yowzers!


What causes autism? Environment? Pollution? Food? Genetics? Could be one of the reasons, or could be all of the reasons, science can't pinpoint the exact cause yet.


Scary.


Bukan scary because autism is shunned, no. An autistic person has every same rights as you and me, and more! But what is scary is how much the odds of affliction has increased in the last 50 years. What is scarier is that we don't know what causes it, thus we have no defense against it. And scariest, there is no cure for it.


OK, that's as far as I got on the random reading. Alamak, potong stim la hehehe :-)


Sorry!


Anyway, ada sorang kakak kat ofis aku, anak bongsunya ada down syndrome, dah belasan tahun jugalah. It's good that she doesn't hide her son, selalu jugak dia minum petang lepas kerja ngan hubs & son dekat-dekat ofis tu. Orang kata, kesian you ada anak cacat. Tapi dia kata, syukur I ada my little boy who will always be my little angel, who will never hurt me in this world, and who will save me in the hereafter.


*sigh*


Jie's current mood : sayu tak tentu pasal

No comments: