Friday, June 29, 2007

LIFE'S CHALLENGES

I am a little sad today, not sad for myself, but for a friend.

This friend is a professional, also working in govt sector. She had gone through a failed marriage, but has since remarried. She has three kids, the youngest being a few months old. She's kind of mind-my-own-business type, which is fine with me. But I have always wondered why she's so reserved and always have a worried look, and sometimes a bit blur, like her mind goes wandering off even when I'm talking to her.

Well, now I know why.

Her husband is a substance abuser. Senang cakap, drug addict la, dah tahap kronik.

He's lost his job a few months back, and the family has been surviving on her single income (berapa sangat la gaji ciput orang gomen ni). He has also been taking her money to buy his fix. They're in deep shite where money is concerned, but she doesn't want to seek help from her parents as they are too far away and just poor kampung folks. Rent has been delayed for two months already, and she's worried about being kicked out by the landlord.

I don't know if he has been abusing her physically, I hope not. She's at her wits' end, and I think may seek a legal redress soon. If she does, it would be all the better for her and her kids. Think poverty, think violence, and think HIV.

I'm not saying drug addicts cannot be cured and re-enter the society. But looking at her financial burdens and personal situation, I'm not sure if she can survive the challenges and come out intact. However if she decides to perservere, I support her decision, provided he surrenders himself and get professional help, fast!

Emma, you'll be in my du'a tonight.

*hugs*

4 comments:

Eddie Putera said...

kesian ema..my prayers with her also

JIE said...

Salaam Adiejin,

Thank you for caring. We all need a little kindness to go along living in this unpredictable times...

Fauziah Ismail said...

Salam Jie
I've decided to tag you for a noble effort. Let's make it a reality. Please visit my blog to find out about it.
Thank you.

JIE said...

Salaam Fauziah,
Tag, a meme? Syok gak, lama dah tak buat meme heheh I'm coming over now.